- Dorothy E. Denning
- Distinguished Professor
Mail Code: DA
Department of Defense
Graduate School of Operational and Information
Monterey, CA 93943
- PhD - Purdue University, Computer
MA - University of Michigan,
BA - University of Michigan,
- 2002- 2009: Professor, Department of Defense Analysis;
2009-present: Distinguished Professor
- Georgetown University, Washington DC, Patricia and Patrick
Callahan Family Professor of Computer Science, 2001-2002;
Professor of Computer Science, 1991-2002;
Chair of Computer Science Department, 1991-1994;
Director, Georgetown Institute for Information Assurance,
- Digital Equipment Corporation, Systems Research Center, Palo
Alto, CA, Principal Software Engineer, 1987-1991.
- SRI International, Computer Science Lab, Menlo Park, CA,
Senior Staff Scientist, 1983-1987.
- Purdue University, Computer Science Department, W. Lafayette,
IN, Professor of Computer Science, 1975-1983.
- Conflict and Cyberspace
- Computer Network Attack and Defense
- Trust, Influence, and Networks
- Conflict and cyberspace
- Information security
- Influence and information operations
- Kristian Beckman Award, IFIP TC-11, 2013
- Distinguished Women Scholars, Purdue University, 2013
- National Cyber Security Hall of Fame, 2012
- Distinguished Fellow, ISSA, 2010
- Outstanding Innovation Award, ACM SIGSAC, 2008
- Fellow of
(ISC)2, International Information Systems Security
Certification Consortium, 2008
- Security 7 Award, 2006
- Distinguished Science Alumnus,
Purdue University, 2006
- Harold F. Tipton Award, International
Information Systems Security Certification Consortium, 2004
- ISSA Hall of Fame, 2003
- COMPASS Award, CSO Magazine, 2003
- Honorary Certified Information Security Manager (CISM),
Information Systems Audit and Control Association, 2003
- Award for Excellence in Information Security, George
Washington University, 2002
- Augusta Ada Lovelace Award, Association for Women in
- Security innovator, Time magazine, 2001
- TechnoSecurity Professional of the Year Award, 2000
- National Computer Systems Security Award, 1999
- ACM Fellow, 1995
- Distinguished Lecturer in Computer Security Award, Aerospace,
- Editorial board, International Journal of Critical
Infrastructure Protection, 2008-.
- Editorial board, International Journal of Cyber Crimes
and Criminal Justice, 2006-.
- Editorial board, International Journal of Information and
- Editorial board, Information Security and Privacy, IEEE Computer
- Editorial board, Ethics and Information Technology, 1999-present.
- Editorial board, Information, Communication & Society, 1997-present.
4 books and over 150 articles, including:
- Denning, D. E., Information Warfare and Security
- Denning, D. E., "Activism, Hacktivism, and Cyberterrorism: The
Internet as a Tool for Influencing Foreign Policy," in Networks
and Netwars: The Future of Terror, Crime, and Militancy (J.
Arquilla and D. F. Ronfeldt eds.), RAND, 2001, pp. 239-288.
Kinniburgh, J. and Denning, D. E., “Blogs and
Military Information Strategy,” IO Sphere, Joint
Information Operations Center, Summer 2006, pp. 5-13.
Denning, D. E., “The Ethics of Cyber Conflict,”
in Information and Computer Ethics (K. E. Himma and H. T.
Tavani eds.), Wiley, 2007
Denning, D. E., “Terror’s Web: How the
Internet is Transforming Terrorism,” Handbook on Internet
Crime (Y. Jewkes and M. Yar, eds.), Willan Publishing,
- Denning, D. E.,
“Cyber Conflict as an Emergent Social
Phenomenon,” Corporate Hacking and Technology-Driven Crime:
Social Dynamics and Implications (T. Hold and B. Schell
eds.), IGI Global, 2011, pp.
- Denning, D. E. Stuxnet: What Has
Changed? Future Internet 2012, 4, 672-687.
- Keywords: cyberspace, cyber conflict, cyber security,
cyber terrorism, cybercrime, information operations