- Steven B. Hall
Modeling, Virtual Environments, and Simulation Institute
Monterey, CA 93943
Email: sbhall (at) nps.edu
Ph.D. - UC Irvine, 1983
- 2011 Naval Postgraduate School (Research Professor)
- Research and education relating to the efficacy of modeling social behavior as a generative or emergent characteristic of multiple single-agent behaviors that are contextually influenced by the social networks in which they are embedded.
- Recent studies include: The impact of the wide-spread adoption of social media on social stability; the impact of military operations on social identity processes; and the impact of collective capacity building on collective resiliency.
- Leadership Experience: Multiple years of research team management supported by formal education in management strategies and group facilitation
- Automated Reasoning Tool (ART) training, Inference Corporation, 1985.
- Knowledge Engineering Environment (KEE) training, 1986.
- Autonomous Agents (CS322), Stanford University (SITN), 1989.
- Object Oriented Programming from M&S Perspective (CS 249), Stanford U, 1995.
- ILOG Solver and Scheduler, ILOG Educational Services, 1997.
- Management Strategies Program, Carnegie Mellon University, Sept 8-13, 2002.
- Santa Fe Institute's Complexity Science Summer School, June 2008
- Certified K&F Group Facilitator and Instructor Training, 2011
1985 - 11 Lockheed Martin Advanced Technology Center (Prin. Scientist)
- Principal Investigator and technical lead of an advanced technology group responsible for the effectiveness analysis of proposed system-of-system solutions to complex adaptive challenges.
- This work made use of advanced non-linear analysis techniques incorporating: GIS systems; Advanced (service-oriented) Modeling and Simulation techniques; embedded OR/AI optimization techniques and substantiated Social, Cognitive & Complexity Science theory. Three notable multi-years projects were:
- C4ISR Architecture Evaluation: Delivered a theory supported and data driven agent-based modeling and simulation environment supporting the design and analysis of proposed innovative C4ISR architectures.
- Urban Swarms: Delivered an environment for designing and evaluating decentralized 'swarming' architectures for next generation micro/nano platforms operating in the urban indoor and/or outdoor environment.
- Mine Search System: Developed the autonomous mission control software (and operator interface) for underwater vehicle(s) engineered to find and map the location of underwater mines.
1984 - 85 Abacus Programming Corp (Knowledge/Language Engineer)
- Designed and led the development of an expert system that interpreted 'unanticipated events' generated by the Space Shuttle software system. The system included a natural language interface based on semantic parsing techniques. Implemented in LISP/ART.
1982 - 84 Cognitive Assessment & Rehabilitation Systems (Principal)
- Designed and implemented an expert system to diagnose deficiencies in human problem solving capability. The system identified the probable source of the deficiency and then designed/delivered a customized rehabilitation program.
1975 - 82 University of California Irvine (Teaching Assistant)
- Taught and assisted in the deliver of courses in Cognitive Science, Natural Language Processing and Research Methodologies.
- MV4657: (Modeling and Simulation of Societies in Conflict) and associated student thesis/dissertation advising.
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS: (View an extended list)
- Understanding the sources of social stability and insurrection; MOOTW; non-linear 'emergent' behavior; M&S of complex systems.
- Hall, Steven B., “A Multi-Agent System Dynamics Modeling Framework supporting Stability Operations Effectiveness Analysis”, AORS 2014
Hall, Steven B., Baird, Ryan G. “Modeling the Influence of Information Flow on Social Stability” In proceeding of: Midwest Political Science Association, April 2013
Palin, P., Hall, S., Lewis, T., Baldwin, C., “Deterrence and the United States Coast Guard: enhancing current practice with performance measures”, DHS Publication UDI#181, 2012
Bernard Zeigler, James Nutaro, Chungman Seo, Steven Hall, Pamela Clark, Michael Rilee, Sidney Bailin, Thomas Speller, Walter Powell, “Frontier modeling support environment: flexibility to adapt to diverse stakeholders”, Proceedings of the 2012 Symposium on Theory of Modeling and Simulation - DEVS Integrative M&S Symposium; 03/2012
P.E. Clark, B. Yatt, M.L. Rilee, S.A. Curtis, S.A. Bailin, W. Truszkowski, B. Zeigler, J. Nutaro, A. Powell, S. Hall, J. Reynolds, T. Speller, P. Costa, R. Mamaniya, “Frontier: Intelligent Decision Engine for Stable Adaptable Complex Systems”, Conference: AIAA SPACE 2012 Conference & Exposition
Bernard Zeigler, Steven B. Hall. “Requirements for Standards Based Dynamic Interoperation of Critical Infrastructure Models“, Grand Challengers in Modeling, Simulation, and Analysis for Homeland Security (MSAHS-2010), Arlington, VA., 2010
Hall, Steven B., “Evolving Defensive Strategies against Dynamic Self Organizing Adversaries”, Human Behavior-Computational Intelligence Modeling Conference 2009
Hall, Steven B., “Deployment Optimization of Multiple Cooperative Engagement HELs using DEST”, DEPS 2009
Wu, J., Hu, B., Zhang, Y. Spence, C. Hall, S., Carley K., “An Agent-based Simulation Study for Exploring Organizational Adaptation”, SIMULATION 2009 85:397
Barr, S., Hall S. Jones, B.J, Spence, C., Streeter, R., Wu, J. “Exploring a Model of Organizational Adaptability” SFI CSSS 2008 Final Report