- Joshua P. Hacker
Department of Meteorology
Graduate School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
Monterey, CA 93943
Email: jphacker (at) nps.edu
Ph.D. - University of British Columbia; Vancouver, BC, 2001
Atmospheric Sciences (detail)
M.Sc. - University of British Columbia; Vancouver, BC., 1996
M.S. Candidate - University of Wisconsin, Madison, 1995
B.S. - University of California, Los Angeles; Los Angeles, CA, 1994
- 9/2009-Present: Associate Professor, Department of Meteorology
- 1/2004 - 9/2009: Scientist I/II (Supervisor: Chris Davis), National Center for Atmospheric Research, Research Applications Laboratory; Boulder CO
1/2002 - 12/2003: Post-Doctoral Fellow (Supervisor: William Cooper), National Center for Atmospheric Research, Advanced Studies Program; Boulder, CO
7/1995 - 11/2001: Research Assistant (Supervisor: Roland Stull), University of British Columbia; Vancouver, BC
8/1994 - 7/1995: Project Assistant (Supervisor: Vicki McKinney), Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources; Madison, WI
- 9/2010 - Present: Faculty, Developing and teaching Advanced Numerical Weather Prediction/Ensemble Prediction, Atmospheric Dynamics, and Air-Ocean Fluid Dynamics.
- 9/2002 - 12/2002: Contributing Instructor, Taught the "Numerical Weather Prediction and Predictability" unit for a graduate-level Earth Climate System survey course at the University of Colorado.
- 1/1998 - 5/1998: Sessional Instructor, Synoptic Meteorology and Climatology. Designed and taught course for upper-division undergraduate students; developed lab program.
- 7/1995 - 11/2001: Teaching Assistant (followed by year of undergraduate students), Micrometeorology (3-4), Atmospheric Instrumentation (3-4), Weather and Climate 1&2 (1-2), Synoptic Meteorology and Climatology (3-4).
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS: (View an extended list)
- Killian Teaching Assistant Award, 2001 (university-wide competition, nominated by faculty)
University Graduate Fellow, 1997-1998
Best Presentation at Applications for Parallel Processing Conference 1998; Phoenix, AZ (2nd Author).
UCLA Dean's Honor List: fall 1992, winter 1993
UCLA Alumni Scholar
- Berner, J., S.-Y. Ha, J. Hacker, A. Fournier, and C. Snyder, 2011: Model uncertainty in a mesoscale ensemble prediction system: Stochastic versus multi-physics representations. Mon. Wea. Rev., 139, 1972-1995.
- Hacker, J., C. Snyder, S.-Y. Ha, and M. Pocernich, 2011: Linear and nonlinear response to parameter variations in a mesoscale model. Tellus A, DOI: 10.1111/j.1600-0870.2010.00505.x.
- Hacker, J., S.-Y. Ha, C. Snyder, J. Berner, F. Eckel, E. Kuchera, M. Pocernich, S. Rugg, J. Schramm, and X. Wang, 2011: The U.S. Air Force Weather Agency's mesoscale ensemble: Scientific description and performance results. Tellus A, DOI: 10.1111/j.1600-0870.2010.00497.
- Rostkier-Edelstein, D. and J. Hacker, 2011: Experience and conclusions from the factor separation method: Ensemble data assimilation and forecasting applications. Factor Separation in the Atmosphere. P. Alpert and T. Sholokhman, Eds., Cambridge University Press, NewYork, 274 pp.