- Jonathan Phillips
Department of Physics
Graduate School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
Monterey, CA 93943
Email: jphillip (at) nps.edu
PhD - U. Wisconsin-Madison, 1981
MS - U. Wisconsin-Madison, 1977
BA - Middlebury College, Middlebury, VT, 1976
- 10/2010-present - Research Professor, Dept. of Physics, Naval Postgraduate School Monterey, CA 93943
- 4/1999-10/2010 - Distinguished National Lab Professor, University of New Mexico
4/1999-10/2010 - Staff Scientist Los Alamos National Laboratory, Los Alamos, NM
7/1996-1/1999 - Professor of Chemical Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University
10/1997-4/1998 - Fulbright Research Fellowship, Ben Gurion University, Beer Sheva, Israel
6/1998-7/1998 - Visiting Scientist
6/1995-8/1995 - Los Alamos National Laboratory
6/1994-7/1994 - Los Alamos, NM
9/1990-6/1991 - Visiting Scientist (Poste Rouge), Centre National Research Scientifique, Institut de Recherches sur la Catalyse, Villeurbanne, FRANCE
7/1988-6/1996 - Associate Professor of Chemical Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University
9/1982-6/1988 - Assistant Professor of Chemical Engineering, The Pennsylvania State University
9/1981-8/1982 - Post-Doctoral Position, Department of Chemical Engineering, Technion, Haifa, Israel
- At present funding entirely from Materials Foundry, Greenwich CT/Albuquerque, NM.
- Recent funding primarily through LANL projects: Advanced Nucelar Fuels (LDRD-DR), Fuel Cell program, but some funding from NASA (Advanced Carbon Structures for Space Applications) and DTRA (Blast Resistant Fiber Reinforced Structures) through UNM collaborations.
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS: (View an extended list)
- R&D 100 Award 2004
- Nano 50 Award 2005
- Fulbright Fellow, Israel 1997
- Poste-Rouge (France) 1990
- Ten issued patents
- Seven licensed patents
- Sixteen patents pending
- Advisor to 10 completed PhD students
- Advisor to 19 completed MS students
- Advisor to 9 Post-Doctoral students
- Taught nine distinct courses in Chemical and Mechanical Engineering
- Reviewer (last three years) for Journal of Physical Chemistry, Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters, Carbon, Journal of Applied Catalysis, Catalysis Today, Review of Scientific Instruments, Applied Physics Letters, Physics Essays, Wessex Institute
- Knapp, A.M., M.N. Richard, C.C. Luhrs, T. Blada and J. Phillips, "Process to Make Structured Particles", U.S. Patent 8,642,139 (2014).
Leseman, Z.C., M.A. Atwater, and J. Phillips, "Carbon Fiber Foam Composites and Methods for Making the Same", U.S. Patent 8,679,381 (2014).
Luhrs, C.C., Z. Leseman, J. Phillips, H. R. Zea, "Generation of Metal and Alloy Micron, Submicron or Nano Particles in Simple, Rapid Process", U.S. Patent 8,709,126 (2014).
Luhrs, C.C, J. Phillips and M.N. Richard, "Process to Make Core-Shell Structured Nanoparticles", U.S. Patent 8,623,470 (2014).
Tehrani, M., A. Y. Boroujeni, C.C. Luhrs, J. Phillips and M. S. Al-Haik, "Hybrid Composites Based on Carbon Fiber/Carbon Nanofilament Reinforcement", Materials 7, 4182-4195 (2014).
Luhrs, C.C, .D. Daskam, E. Gonzalez, and J. Phillips, "Fabrication of a Low Density Carbon Fiber Foam and Its Characterization as a Strain Gauge", Materials 7, 3699-3714 (2014).
Phillips, J. "Reconsidering the Validation of Multi-Electron Standard Quantitative Quantum Mechanics", Physics Essays Accepted for Publication.
Phillips, J., Scanlan, B.J. "Catalysts by Concurrent Creation of Support and Metal (3C-SAM)" US Patent Application 20140121097 (2014).
S. Fromille and J. Phillips, "Super Dielectric Materials", J. of Applied Phys., Submitted.