- Luke N. Brewer
Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Graduate School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
Monterey, CA 93943
Email: lnbrewer (at) nps.edu
PhD - Northwestern University, 2001
Materials Science and Engineering
BSE - Northwestern University, 1996
Materials Science and Engineering, with distinction
BSE - Northwestern University, 1996
- Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering (2010-present)
- Principal Member of the Technical Staff, Sandia National Laboratories (2004-2010)
- Technical Staff Member, General Electric Global Research Center (2001-2004)
- Characterization of Materials Structure and Chemistry
- Mechanical Behavior of Materials
- Welding and Joining of Materials
- Fracture and Failure
- Materials for Nuclear Energy
- Structure-Property Relationships in Metals and Ceramics
- Characterization Methods: Electron Backscattered Diffraction, TEM, EELS, X-ray, and Neutron Diffraction
- Microscale Mechanical Characterization of Materials
- Simulation of Microstructure Evolution and Mechanical Behavior
- High Throughput Screening Methods for Materials
BOARDS/MEMBERSHIPS: (View an extended list)
- Macres Award from the Microbeam Analysis Society for Best Instrumentation/Software Paper at the 2002 Microscopy and Microanalysis Meeting in Quebec City, Quebec, Canada, 2002.
- 1st Place in Problem Solving Category at Ceramographics Competition, 103rd Meeting of the American Ceramics Society, Indianapolis, IN, April 2001.
- Presidential Student Award, Microscopy Society of America, Philadelphia, PA, August 2000.
- 1st Place Best Scientific Talk, John E. Hilliard Symposium, Dept. of Materials Science and Engineering, Northwestern University, May 11, 2000.
- 1st Place in Problem Solving Category at Ceramographics Competition, 102nd Meeting of the American Ceramics Society, St. Louis, MO, April 2000.
- 1st Place in Combined Techniques Category at Ceramographics Competition, 101st Meeting of the American Ceramics Society, Indianapolis, IN, April 1999.
- 1998 W.A. Sanderson Teaching Assistant of the Year Award, Materials Science & Engineering Department, Northwestern University.
- 1997 W.A. Sanderson Teaching Assistant of the Year Award, Materials Science & Engineering Department, Northwestern University.
- Department of Defense, National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellow 1997-2000
- Cabell Graduate Fellow 1996-1997
- Microbeam Analysis Society (MAS)
- Microscopy Society of America (MSA)
- The Minerals, Metals, and Materials Society (TMS)
- Brewer, L.N., Follstaedt, D.M., Knapp, J.A., Rodriguez, M.A., Hattar, K., Robertson, I.M., “Competitive Abnormal Grain Growth between Allotropic Phases in Nanocrystalline Nickel”, Advanced Materials, 2010. 22(10): p. 1161.
- Parish, C.M., Brewer, L.N., “Statistical Uncertainty in Quantitative STEM-EDS Spectrum Imaging”, Ultramicroscopy, 2010. 110(2): p. 134.
- L.N. Brewer, D.P. Field, and C.C. Merriman, “Mapping and Assessing Plastic Deformation Using EBSD”, in Electron Backscattered Diffraction in Materials Science, 2nd Edition, A.J. Schwartz, M. Kumar, et al., Editors. 2009, Springer: New York, NY. p. 251-258.
- Brewer, L.N., P.G. Kotula, and J.R. Michael, “Multivariate Statistical Approach to Electron Back Scattered Diffraction”. Ultramicroscopy, 2008. 108: p. 567. (figure from paper is on the cover of the journal)
- Brewer, L.N., M.A. Othon, L.M. Young, and T.M. Angeliu, “Misorientation Mapping for Visualization of Plastic Deformation via Electron Back-Scattered Diffraction”. Microscopy and Microanalysis, 2006. 12(1): p. 85.
- Keywords: electron backscattered diffraction, nanoindentation, multivariate statistical analysis, transmission electron microscopy, fatigue, metals, ceramics, plasticity, nuclear energy, radiation