- Jamie MacMahan
Department of Oceanography
Graduate School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
Monterey, CA 93943
Email: jhmacmah (at) nps.edu
PhD - University of Florida, 2003
Civil & Coastal Engineering
MS - University of South Carolina, 1997
BS - Richard Stockton College of N. J., 1994
- Assistant Professor, Naval Postgraduate School 2007-
- Alternate Academic Council 2007-
- Faculty Council Nomination Committee 2007-
- NRC Post-Doctoral Fellow, Naval Postgraduate School 2003-2005
- Adjunct Faculty Member, University of Delaware 2007-
- Assistant Professor, University of Delaware 2005-2007
- Graduate Research Assistant, University of Florida 1998-2003
- Research Assistant, US Geological Survey 1998-1999
- Teaching & Research Assistant, University of South Carolina 1994-1998
- Research Assistant, Coastal Science Engineering 1996-1998
- Introduction to Coastal Engineering
- Nearshore Processes
- Time Series Analysis
- Littoral Field Studies
- Rip Currents
- Drifter Observations in Riverine, Inlet, and Surfzone Environments
- Autonomous Unmanned Vehicles
- Field Observation of Surfzone Processes
- National Research Council Fellowship Award, 2003-2005
- ONR/NSF/NOAA Physical Oceanography Dissertation Symposium II Award, 2003 American Geophysical Union Best Student Presentation, 2002
- United States-New Zealand Fulbright Fellowship Recipient (declined), 2001
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS: (View an extended list)
- American Geophysical Union
- MacMahan, J. H., J. Brown, A. Reniers, J. Brown, E. B. Thornton, A. J. H. M. Reniers, T. P. Stanton, Henriquez, M., E. Gallagher, J. Morrison, M. Austin, T. Scott; N. Senechal. Mean Lagrangian Flow Behavior on an Open Coast Rip-channeled Beach, accepted upon minor revisions to Mar. Geol., 2009.
- Brown, J., J.H. MacMahan, A. Reniers, and E. Thornton, Surfzone Diffusivity on a Rip Channeled Beach, in press J. Geophys. Res., 2009.
- MacMahan, J. H., E.B. Thornton, A. J. H. M. Reniers, Rip current overview. Coastal Eng., 53, 191-208, 2006.
- MacMahan, J., A.J.H.M. Reniers, E.B. Thornton and T. Stanton, Infragravity rip current pulsations, J. of Geophys. Res., 109, C01033, doi:10.1029/2003JC-002068, 2004.
- MacMahan, J. H., A. J. H. M. Reniers, E. B. Thornton, and T. P. Stanton, Surf zone eddies coupled with rip current morphology, J. Geophys. Res., 109, C07004, coi:10.1029/2003JC002083, 2004.
- Keywords: rip currents, surf zone, autonomous vehicles, Lagrangian, dispersion, mixing, infragravity, morphodynamics, data analysis