- Anita M. Salem
Graduate School of Business and Public Policy
Monterey, CA 93943
Email: amsalem (at) nps.edu
M.S. - University of Washington, 1997
B.A. - University of California, 1978
Psychology (Magna Cum Laude)
- Research Associate, Graduate School of Business and Public Policy, Naval Postgraduate School (2008-current)
- Design Researcher, SalemSystems (1997-current)
Communications Researcher/Engineer, University of Washington (1992-1997)
- University of Washington, Department of Technical Communication
TC 318: Survey of User Experience Design (2002-2005) Undergraduate course integrating qualitative research and system design.
TC 518: User-Centered Design (2003) Graduate course in design research methods.
- Effects, Metrics and Risk (2009-present). Center for Executive Education. Facilitated workshops on strategic planning for Navy and DoD leadership.
- Strategic Communication (2009-present) Center for Executive Education. Facilitated strategic communication planning for Navy and DoD leadership.
- Navy Leadership Courses. Center for Executive Education. 2010-present Coached Navy leadership in improving communication and management skills.
- Innovation Workshops. Center for Executive Education 2011 Taught a short course on innovation through contextual design
- Building Capacity in Strategic Communication (2010 with G. Thomas) Presenting theories of strategic communication and facilitating the self-design of their strategic communication efforts.
- Participatory Problem Solving: Interviewing Techniques for Qualitative Research Presenting a model for interviewing that positions the research as participatory problem solving.
- Research Methods: Field Studies and Contextual Interviewing Exploring methods for studying people in context--working, living, playing.
- Writing Simply: Designing for Use Offering tools and techniques for clear writing that focuses on audience goals and plain language.
- Information Architecture: Audience Needs and Access Structures Presenting methods for researching audience needs and developing information architectures based on those needs.
- System Design: User Research, Participatory Design, and Conceptual Modeling Presenting a process for defining human system requirements based on direct input from system users.
- Technology Adoption & Organizational Change
Strategic Communication & Organizational Effectiveness
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS: (View an extended list)
- Board Member, Marina Technology Cluster, Marina, CA (2005-current)
Board Member, Family Thrive, Marina, CA (2007-2009)
Board Member, Assoc. for Professional Communication Consultants (2007)
Board Member, Puget Sound Computer-Human Interaction (2003-2005)
Volunteer, American Red Cross, (2001-current)
- Walsh, W. , Hocevar, S., Salem, A., Englehorn, L. (2013) “Industry and Public Sector Cooperation for Information Sharing, Oakland Airport.” Technical Report by the Multimodal Information Sharing Team, Washington, DC. Sponsor: Department of the Navy & ODNI.
Salem, A., Hocevar, S., Walsh, W. , Englehorn, L. (2013) “Industry and Public Sector Cooperation for Information Sharing, Oakland Seaport.” Technical Report by the Multimodal Information Sharing Team, Washington, DC. Sponsor: Department of the Navy & ODNI.
Salem, A., Hocevar, S., Walsh, W. Englehorn, L. (2012) “2008-2012 Video Highlights of Findings.” Video Report by the Multimodal Information Sharing Team, Washington, DC. Sponsor: Program Manager Information Sharing Environment.
Salem, A., Stames, P. (2012) “Implementing a Strategic Planning Process at the Naval Safety Center.” A study of current practices and beliefs impacting the strategic planning process. Sponsor: Naval Safety Center and Center for Executive Education.
Salem, A., Hocevar, S., Walsh, W. Englehorn, L. (2012) “2008-2012 Video Report of Findings.” Narrated Report by the Multimodal Information Sharing Team, Washington, DC. Sponsor: Program Manager Information Sharing Environment.
- Keywords: design research, stakeholder engagement, user experience design, leadership development, strategic planning, strategic communication, organizational communication, technical communication, information design, communication, usability, human factors, product design, customer research, maritime security, homeland security, emergency management