- Lisa F. Potvin
Lecturer and Program Manager
Mail Code: GB/LP
Graduate School of Business and Public Policy
Monterey, CA 93943
Email: lfpotvin (at) nps.edu
MBA - University of Denver, Denver, Colorado, 1997
BS - University of Maine, Orono, Maine, 1987
- 2010 - present - Director of the Navy Practical Comptrollership Course, and Lecturer in Financial Management, Graduate School of Business and Public Policy
2011 - Lecturer, Army Cost Management Certificate Course
2006-2009 - Military Lecturer in Financial Management and Director of the Practical Comptrollership Course, Graduate School of Business and Public Policy
- 2003-2006 - Budget Analyst, United States Air Force, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, Colorado Springs, CO
2001-2003 - Programmer, United States Air Force, NORAD-USSPACECOM, Colorado Springs, CO
1998-2003 - Capital Planner and Lead Cost Analyst, IBM, Boulder, CO
1985-present - U.S. Navy, both active (13 years) and Reserve (14 years). Current rank of Captain.
- Federal Budget, DoD budgeting and execution, and budget process
- Contingency costing and interagency reimbursement under the Stafford Act
- Defense business and financial management
Resource allocation and allocation process in both public and private sector
Defense financial management organization and infrastructure
- Assistant Secretary of the Navy, Financial Management & Comptroller, Individual Achievement in Comptrollership, 2009
Certified Defense Financial Manager (CDFM), 2003
CDFM Acquisition certification, 2006
- American Society of Military Comptrollers (ASMC)
Association of the United Sates Navy (AUSN)
U.S. Naval Reserve, Commanding Officer
- Potvin, Lisa, Jones, Lawrence, "Financial Management Opportunities in the Graduate School of Business and Public Policy", Armed Forces Comptroller, 2010, pending.
Potvin, Lisa, Andrew J. Smith, Dennis Bay, "The Next Katrina: A New Process for Reimbursement", Armed Forces Comptroller, 2006. Also reprinted in U.S. Army Resource Management, 2006 and Air Force Comptroller, 2007.
Potvin, Lisa, Practical Financial Management: A Handbook for the Defense Department Financial Manager, 11th Edition, Rev. 1, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA, October 2012.
"Planning, Programming, Budgeting, and Execution System," guest lecture presented at the Human Resources Center of Excellence, Monterey, April 2008.
"Educator's Panel," Professional Development Institute, May 2007 and 2008.
- Keywords: Defense Budgeting, Financial Management, Budget Process, Resource Allocation