- William P. Fox
Mail Code: DA
Department of Defense Analysis
Graduate School of Operational and Information Sciences
Monterey, CA 93943
Email: wpfox (at) nps.edu
PhD - Clemson University, 1990
Industrial Engineering Operations Research
MS - Naval Postgraduate School, 1982
Operations Research and System Analysis
BS - USMA, 1973
- 2006-present; Professor, Department of Defense Analysis
- Professor, USMA, 1982-1986, 1990-1998
Professor and Chair, Department of Mathematics, Francis Marion University, 1998-2006
- Mathematical Modeling
- Medical Statistical Analysis and Modeling
Mathematical Modeling Optimization
Detection of Suicide Bombers
- Francis Marion University's Faculty Research and Scholarship Award (2003)
Francis Marion University's Board of Trustees Research Scholar Award (2005)
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS: (View an extended list)
- Mathematical Association of America, MAA (Member) 1991-
Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM ) Member and Lecturer, 1998-
Director High School Mathematical Contests in Modeling (HiMCM) 1999-
Director, Mathematical Contests in Modeling (MCM) 2011-
Associate Director, MCM, 1991-2011.
President-Elect, Military Applications Society of INFORMS , 2010
Editorial Board, International Journal of Operations Research and Information Systems (IJORIS) 2007-
Guest Editor, Special Editions of IJORIS, 2010-
Column Editor, CONSORTIUM, 1999-
- 14 books, 10 book chapters, over 117 articles, 2 patents, and over 130 conference presentations including:
- Fox, William P. (2012). Mathematical Modeling with Maple, Cengage Publishing, Boston, MA.
- Fox, William P., Frank R. Giordano, & Steve Horton,. (2013). A First Course in Mathematical Modeling. 5th Edition, Cengage Publishing: Brooks/Cole Publishing Co., Boston, MA,
- Fox, W.P. (2010) Appendix: Formal Modeling of Iraq using Game Theory and Dynamical Systems, The Three Circles of War Understanding the Dynamics of Conflict in Iraq, Potomac Press. pp. 209-236.
- Fox, W. P., M. Hunter, et al. (2012). The Afghanistan Game, Global Security. Ambivium Press. pp.31-60.
- Fox, W.P. (2012) Discrete Combat Models: Investigating the Solutions to Discrete Forms of Lanchester's Combat Models, Innovations in Information Systems for Business Functionality and Operations Management, IGI Global & SAGE Publishers, pp. 106-122. Reprint as a Chapter from 86.
- Fox, W. P. (2010) "System Modeling of U.S. Efforts as Applied to the War on Terrorism in Iraq and Iraq's Infrastructure Resiliency: The Indicators of Force Multipliers (INFORM) Model", The Three Circles of War Understanding the Dynamics of Conflict in Iraq, Potomac Press. pp. 153-164.
- Fox, W. (2014) Chapter 226, Unconstrained Optimization in Business Analytics. Encyclopedia of Business Analytics and Optimization. IGI Global and Sage Publications., V(5), 344-356
- Fox, W. (2014) Chapter 45, Constrained Nonlinear Optimization in Business. Encyclopedia of Business Analytics and Optimization. IGI Global and Sage Publications. V(1), 541-554.
- Fox, W. (2014) Chapter 221, TOPSIS in Business Analytics. Encyclopedia of Business Analytics and Optimization. IGI Global and Sage Publications. V(5), 281-291.
- Fox, W. (2015), Chapter 4 Introduction to Multi-Attribute Decision Making in Business Analytics, Springer book on Advanced Business Analytics, edited by Fausto Pedro García Márquez and Benjamin Lev, Springer Publishers, pp. 55-92.
- Fox, William P., Jonathan Levy, Mark Mizel, Samuel Wilson, Kathleen McHale, Dean Taylor, and H. Thomas Temple (2006) "Incidence of Foot and Ankle Injuries in West Point Cadets with Pes Planus Compared to the General Cadet Population", Journal of Foot and Ankle International. 27 (12), pp. 1060-1064.
- Fox, William P., C. Hulen, H.T. Temple, A. Sama, B. Green, and F. Eismont. (2006). "Oncologic and Functional Outcome Following Sacretomy for Sacaral Chordoma", The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, 88(7), July 2006, pp. 1532-1539.
- Evenski, A. MD, V. Mounasamy, MD, S. Ramasunder MD, W.P. Fox, Ph.D. & H. T. Temple, MD. (2012). Treatment and Survival of Osseous Renal Cell Carcinoma Metastases, Journal of Oncologi Surgery, Wiley Periodicals, Inc. JSO-2012-1029,pp. 1-6.
- Fox, W. P. (2012). Mathematical Modeling with Logistics Regression Analysis in Excel, Computers in Education Journal. July-Sept, 2012.
- Fox, W. P. (2012). "Mathematical Modeling of the Analytical Hierarchy Process Using Discrete Dynamical Systems in Decision Analysis, Computers in Education Journal. July-Sept, 2012.
- Fox, W.P.,& J. Vesecky. (2012). New metrics for the detection of suicide bombers, Journal of Mathematics and System Science (JMSS), 2(2012), 249-257.
- Fox, W.P., J. Binstock, & M. Minutas. (2013). Modeling and Methodology for Incorporating Existing Technologies to Produce Higher Probabilities of Detection of Suicide Bombers, International Journal of Operations Research and Information Systems (IJORIS), accepted 2011. 4(3), 2013, Sepecial Issue, 2013.
- Fox, William. (2008) "Mathematical Modeling of Conflict and Decision Making "The Writers Guild Strike 2007-2008", Computers in Education Journal (COED),. XVIII(3), July-Sept 2008, pp. 2-11.
- Fox, W.P., Jeremy A. Dennis, Octavio V. Martinez, David C. Landy, Theodore I. Malinin, Paul R. Morris, Billy E. Buck and H. Thomas Temple (2009) "A comparison of two microbial detection methods used in aseptic processing of musculoskeletal allograft tissues", Journal of Cell and Tissue Banking, Springer, 1(12), pp. 45-50.
- Fox, W. P., J. Vesecky, and K. Laws (2011). 'Detecting Suicide Bombers", Journal of Defense Modeling and Simulation (JDMS), 8(1), pp. 5-24 (lead article for a special IED issue).
- Fox, W.P. (2010) "Teaching the applications of optimization in game theory's zero-sum and non-zero sum games", International Journal of Data Analysis Techniques and Strategies (IDATS), 2(3), pp. 258-284.
- Fox, William P. (2010) "Discrete Combat Models: Investigating the Solutions to Discrete Forms of Lanchester's Combat Models", International Journal of Operations Research and Information Systems (IJORIS), 1(1), January-March. pp. 16-34.
- Fox, W.P. and M.J. Jaye (2011). Search and Rescue Carry Through Mathematical Modeling Problem, Computers in Education Journal (COED). 2(3), June-July 2011 . pp. 82-93.
- Fox, W.P. and Patrick J. Driscoll (2011). Modeling with Dynamical Systems for Decision Making and Analysis. Computers in Education Journal (COED), 2(1), pp.19-25.
- Fox, William P. (2011). Using the EXCEL Solver for Nonlinear Regression, Computers in Education Journal (COED). October-December 2011 Journal. 2(4), pp. 77-86.
- Fox, William P. (2012). Issues and Importance of 'Good" Starting Points for Nonlinear Regression for Mathematical Modeling with Maple: Basic Model Fitting to Make Predictions with Oscillating Data. Journal of Computers in Mathematics and Science Teaching. 31(1), pp. 1-16.
- Fox, W. P. (2012). Mathematical Modeling of the Analytical Hierarchy Process Using Discrete Dynamical Systems in Decision Analysis, Computers in Education Journal, 3(3), 2012, 27-34.
- Fox, W. P. (2014). Using Multi-Attribute Decision Methods in Mathematical Modeling to Produce an Order of Merit List of High Valued Terrorists, American Journal of Operation Research, 4(6), 365-374.