- Susan K. Heath
Assistant Professor of Logistics and Operations Management
Graduate School of Business and Public Policy
Monterey, CA 93943
Email: skheath (at) nps.edu
PhD - University of Texas at Austin, 2006
Information, Risk, & Operations Management
MEng - Cornell University, 1997
Operations Research and Industrial Engineering
Manufacturing Option Deanís Certificate
BA - Cornell University, 1995
- 2006 - Present: Assistant Professor
- Resident MBA courses: Models and Simulation for Managerial Decision Making; Business Modeling and Analysis; and Operations Management
- Distance learning EMBA courses (synchronous): Operations Management; and Business Modeling and Analysis
- Conversion to Distance Learning (asynchronous) of custom Operations Management course for US Army Cost Management Certificate Course program
- Intensive 1-week courses: Operations Management customized for different audiences
- 2004 - 2006: University of Texas at Austin, McCombs School of Business
- Teaching: resident undergraduate Operations Management course
- Teaching Assistant: resident undergraduate and MBA Operations Management courses
1997 - 2000: Senior Business Analyst, Kraft Foods, Inc.
- Supported information systems in a large manufacturing facility
- Co-led cross functional team to evaluate and improve all systems support services within Kraft Foods North America (worked with corporate support teams, site support teams and call management center)
- Served as site systems project manager for $1M product weight control system implementation on the production lines floor
- Performed contractor management on several projects
- Developed and implemented a core support reduction plan which significantly reduced site support issues and support time spent in factory
- Optimization, discrete event simulation, and agent-based simulation methodologies
- Conversion to Distance Learning (asynchronous) of custom Operations Management course for US Army Cost Management Certificate Course program.
- Development of case materials and educational games for Operations Management customized for the Veteran's Health Administration.
- Development of various assignments, projects and lecture materials for all courses taught
- Disaster planning and response operations, and production planning and scheduling
- Gamma Beta Phi, National Service Honor Society, Accepted 2004
- Omega Rho, Operations Research and Management Science International Honor Society, Accepted 1997
- Psi Chi, National Honor Society in Psychology, Accepted 1992
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS: (View an extended list)
- Gamma Beta Phi, National Service Honor Society
Omega Rho, Operations Research and Management Science International Honor Society
Psi Chi, National Honor Society in Psychology
Session Chair and/or Session Organizer for the Winter Simulation Conference (2011), Winter Simulation Conference (2010), Institute for Operations Research and Management Science Conference (2010), Winter Simulation Conference (2007).
Reviewer of numerous research articles for various journals including Naval Research Logistics, Interfaces, European Journal of Operational Research, Production and Operations Management, International Journal of Defense Acquisition Management, and the Winter Simulation Conference Proceedings
Reviewer of industry publication entitled Armed Services Interest Group Report on The State of Lean Six Sigma in the Armed Services for Consortium of Advanced Management - International (CAM-I)
- “Evacuating Mobility Challenged People in a Short-Notice Disaster” (with A. Apte, A. Pico and Y. Tan, 2015), Decision Sciences, 46(4), 731-754.
“Ant Colony Optimization Parameter Selection for Evacuating the Mobility-Challenged in a Short-Notice Disaster” (with A. Apte, A. Pico, and R. Tan, 2014) , Journal of Applied Operational Research. 6(2), 49-68.
“A GRASP for simultaneously assigning and sequencing product families on flexible assembly lines,” (with J. Bard and D. Morrice, 2013) Annals of Operations Research, 203(1), pp. 295-323.
“An RFID Application in Large Job Shop Remanufacturing Operations,” (with G. Ferrer and N. Dew, 2011), International Journal of Production Economics, 133, pp. 612-621.
“Request and Response Processes for Department of Defense Support during Domestic Disasters,” (with A. Apte, 2011), Journal of Homeland Security and Emergency Management, 8(1), Article 17.
“A production scheduling heuristic for an electronics manufacturer with sequence dependent setup costs,” (with D. J. Morrice and J. F. Bard, 2008), European Journal of Operational Research, 187, pp. 1100-1114. (note: published under S. K. Monkman)
“Dell uses new production scheduling Heuristics to accommodate increased product variety,” (with J. L. Loveland and D. J. Morrice, 2007), Interfaces, 37(3), pp. 240-252. (note: published under S. K. Monkman)
- Keywords: Budget, Fiscal Management, Resource Management