- Aruna Apte
Graduate School of Business and Public Policy
Monterey, CA 93943
Email: auapte (at) nps.edu
MA - Temple University, Philadelphia, PA,
PhD - Southern Methodist University, Dallas TX,
- 6/2012-Present, Associate Professor of Operations and Logistics Management
6/2005-5/2012, Assistant Professor of Operations and Logistics Management
- Invited to join Humanitarian Assistance Research Thoughtleaders (HART), a relatively small group of top researchers in this field in defining the research agenda (setting priorities), engaging in exchanges and complementary research projects, and developing easily accessible pedagogical materials.
Invited to join the INFORMS Speaker Program that facilitates access to excellent speakers who are experts in some aspect of operations research and the management sciences.
Invited to join Senior Leaders Seminar by Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) and former Secretary of State George P. Shultz, organized by San Francisco Fleet Week Association's Board of Directors. This seminar provides an opportunity for all levels of government and the private sector to engage with and discuss the role of Armed Forces in the San Francisco Bay Area in the event of a catastrophic earthquake.
Invited to serve on an ad hoc workgroup led by members of Coordinating Office for Terrorism Preparedness and Emergency Response (COTPER) of the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to review the current process used by the Strategic National Stockpile (SNS).
Founding President and President, College of Humanitarian Operations and Crisis Management, Production and Operations Management (POM) Society, 2010 -2013
1999 - 2005 Lecturer, Cox School of Business, Southern Methodist University
2000 - 2002 Consultant, MCI/WorldCom Corporation
- Mathematical Modeling, Operations Management, Humanitarian Logistics
- Developing mathematical models and algorithms for complex real world operational problems, specifically in Humanitarian Logistics
- Military Logistics
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS: (View an extended list)
- Nominated as one of the selected papers for the Best Paper Award, 2013, Application of Theory, IDSI-APDSI Best Paper, "Planning Disaster Relief Logistics for an Island Earthquake"
Second Place Best paper Award, 2012, Defense Acquisition Review Journal for paper titled "Managing Lifecycle Information of Aircraft Engine Components"
First Place Award Winner, W. Gregor Macfarlan Excellence in Contract Management Research and Writing Program, 2010, National Contract Management Association (NCMA) for paper titled, "Contracting for the Services in the U.S. Army: Empirical Study of the Current Management Practices"
Liskin Faculty Award, 2009, GSBPP, NPS
Patent: N. Venugopal and A. Apte, "SONET Ring Designer Tool", Patent # 7929426, received April 19, 2011.
Faculty recognition award for Outstanding Teaching, 2005, Cox School of Business, SMU
Gold Medal in Mathematics, Secondary School Certificate Examination, Mumbai, India
- S. K. Heath, A. Apte, A. Pico and Y. H. Ronny Tan, "Ant Colony Optimization and Parameter Selection for Evacuating the Mobility-Challenged in a Short-Notice Disaster", Journal of Applied Operational Research, Volume 06 Number 02, June 2014, Forthcoming
A. Apte, K. Yoho, C. Greenfield and C. Ingram, "Selecting Maritime Disaster Response Capabilities", Journal of Supply Chain Management, Volume 06 Number 02, July-December 2013, pp 40-58
A. Apte, R. Rendon, and J. Salmeron, "An optimization approach to strategic sourcing: A case study of the United States Air Force", Journal of Purchasing and Supply Management, 17(3), December 2011, Forthcoming.
A. Apte, "Supply Chain Networks for Perishable and Essential Commodities: Design and Vulnerabilities", Journal of Operations and Supply Chain Management, 3(2), 2011, pp 26 - 43.
A. Apte, U. Apte, and R. Rendon, "Contracting for Services in the U.S. Army: Empirical Study of the Current Management Practices", Journal of Contract Management, 8(1), 2010, pp 9-21, Best Paper Award.
J. Salmeron and A. Apte, "Stochastic Optimization for Natural Disaster Asset Prepositioning", Production and Operations Management, 19(5), 2010, pp 561-575.
Aruna Apte, "Humanitarian Logistics: A New Field of Research and Action", Foundations and Trends® in Technology, Information and OM: Vol. 3: No 1, 2009, pp 1-100.
- Keywords: Humanitarian Logistics, Mathematical Programming, Operations Research and Management