- Yu-Chu Shen
Graduate School of Business and Public Policy
Monterey, CA 93943
Email: yshen (at) nps.edu
PhD - Harvard University, 2001
Health Policy (field: Health Economics)
AB - Harvard University, 1996
Applied Mathematics (field: Decision and Control), magna cum laude
- July 2015-Present, Professor of Economics
July 2009-July 2015, Associate Professor of Economics
Sept 2004-July 2009, Assistant Professor of Economics
- 2004-Present Faculty Research Fellow, National Bureau of Economic Research, Cambridge, MA
- July 2001-Aug 2004 Research Associate, Health Policy Center, the Urban Institute, Washington, DC
- 1997-2001 Research Assistant, National Bureau of Economics Research, Cambridge, MA
- 1997-2001 Webmaster, Ph.D. Program in Healthy Policy, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
- 1998-1999 Teaching Fellow, Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
- Health economics
- Multivariate analysis
- Health Policy
- 2008-2010 Grant recipient of the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation's HCFO program.
1999-2001 Hauser Center Fellowship for Doctoral Studies in the Nonprofit Sector
1999 Harvard Graduate Society Fellowships, Term-Time Dissertation Fellowship
1998-1999 Alfred P. Sloan Foundation Fellowship
1998 Harvard Graduate Society Fellowships, Summer Awards
1996-1998 Harvard Ph.D. Program in Health Policy Fellowship
- Faculty Research Fellow at the National Bureau of Economic Research
- Member of Academy for Health Services Research and Health Policy
- Complete publications list can be viewed here.
Shen, Y. and Wu, V. 2013. Reductions in Medicare Payments and Patient Outcomes: An Analysis of Five Leading Medicare Conditions. Medical Care, 51(11): 970-977.
Shen, Y., Arkes, J., and Williams, TV. 2012. Effects of Iraq/Afghanistan Deployments on Major Depression and Substance Use Disorder: Analysis of Active Duty Personnel in US Military. American Journal of Public Health, 102 (March, S1): S80-S87.
Shen, Y. and Hsia, RY. 2011. Association Between Ambulance Diversion And Survival of Patients with Acute Myocardial Infarction. JAMA, 305 (23): 2440-2447.
Shen, Y. Arkes, J. Kwan, B. Tan, L. and Williams, TV. 2010. Effects of Iraq/Afghanistan Deployments on PTSD Diagnoses for Still Active Personnel in All Four Services. Military Medicine, 175 (10): 763-769.
Shen, Y., Wu, V., and Melnick, G. 2010. Trends in Hospital Cost and Revenue, 1994-2005: How Are They Related to HMO Penetration, Concentration and For-Profit Ownership. Health Services Research, 45 (1): 42-61.
Shen, Y. 2009. Do HMO and its for-profit expansion jeopardize the survival of hospital safety net services? Health Economics, 18(3): 305-320,
- Keywords: health economics, health policy