- Nancy M. Haegel
Department of Physics
Graduate School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
Monterey, CA 93943
Email: nmhaegel (at) nps.edu
PhD - University of California, Berkeley, 1985
Materials Science and Engineering
MS - University of California, Berkeley, 1983
Materials Science and Engineering (detail)
BS - Notre Dame, 1981
Materials Science and Metallurgical Engineering (detail)
- 2003 - 2009 Prof of Physics
2009 Distinguished Professor
- 1986 - 1987 - Post-doctoral, Siemens Research Laboratory, Erlangen, Germany
1987 - 1993 - UCLA Dept. of Materials Science, Asst and Assoc Prof.
1993 - 2003 - Fairfield University, Dept. of Physics, Assoc Prof and Prof
- Interactive teaching
Modern physics, sensor technology, semiconductor materials and devices
- Infrared detector development and modeling
Transport imaging with novel optical techniques
Integration of near field optics with scanning electron microscopy
Polymer emitters for military applications, remote detection and signaling
- SELECTED AWARDS:
- Packard Fellowship, NSF PYI Fellowship, Fairfield University Teacher of the Year 1997,
- UCLA Excellence in Teaching 1989, Humboldt Fellowship 2000, APS Prize for Research at an Undergraduate Institution 2004
- Admiral John Jay Schieffelin Award for Teaching Excellence at NPS 2008
- Fulbright Senior Scholar at Hebrew University, 2012
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS: (View an extended list)
- PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES:
- American Physical Society (APS)
- Board of Trustees - University of Notre Dame
- Director - NPS Center for Materials Research (CMR)
- Chair of the Faculty, NPS 2011-2012
- SELECTED RECENT PUBLICATIONS:
- A. Little*, A. Hoffman* and N. M. Haegel, “Optical attenuation coefficient in individual ZnO nanowires,” Optics Express 21, 6321-6326 (2013).
- H.M. Smith III, D. J. Phillips, I.D. Sharp, J.W. Beeman, D. C. Chrzan, N.M. Haegel, E.E. Haller, G. Ciampi, H. Kim, K. S. Shah, “Electronic effects of Se and Pb dopants in TlBr,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 100, 202102 (2012).
- K. E. Blaine*, D. J. Phillips*, C. Frenzen, C. Scandrett and N. M. Haegel, “Three dimensional transport imaging for the spatially resolved determination of carrier diffusion length in bulk materials,” Rev. Sci. Instrum. 83, 043702 (2012).
- D. Phillips*, K. Blaine*, N. M. Haegel, G. Campo and L. Cirigno, “Cathodoluminescence and Spatial Variation in the Mobility-Lifetime Product in Thallium Bromide,” IEEE Trans. Nuclear Science 59, 2608-2613 (2012).
- N. M. Haegel, D. J. Chisholm* and R. A. Cole*, “Imaging transport in nanowires using near-field detection of light,” J. Crystal Growth 352, 218 (2012).
- Y. A. Davis*, P. P. Crooker, N. M. Haegel, Y. Yoshioka and J. D. MacKenzie, “Transient capacitance of light-emitting electrochemical cells,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 99, 233306 (2011)
- L. Baird, C. P. Ong, R. A. Cole, N. M. Haegel, A. A. Talin, Qiming Li and George T. Wang, “Transport imaging for contact-free measurements of minority carrier diffusion in GaN, GaN/AlGaN and GaN/InGaN core-shell nanowires,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 98, 132104 (2011).
- Keywords: IR detectors, semiconductor materials and devices, imaging transport