- Philip J. Candreva
Senior Lecturer of Budgeting and Senior Associate, Center for Defense Management Research
Mail Code: GB/Pc
Graduate School of Business and Public Policy
Monterey, CA 93943
Email: pjcandre (at) nps.edu
MS - Naval Postgraduate School, 1996
BS - Pennsylvania State University, 1984
- 2006-present, Senior Lecturer of Budgeting, Graduate School of Business & Public Policy
- 2002-2006 Military Lecturer in Financial Management and Director of the Practical Comptrollership Course, Graduate School of Business & Public Policy
- 1995-1996 Student (Financial Management) & Conrad Scholar
- Special Assistant, Assistant Secretary of the Navy (Financial Management & Comptroller), Washington, DC (2008)
- Retired in 2006 after 22 years of service in the Navy Supply Corps at the rank of Commander.
- 2000-2002 Director, ERP Implementation Department, Navy Supply Information Systems Activity, Mechanicsburg, PA
- 1999-2000 Director, Management and Comptroller Department, Fleet Material Support Office, Mechanicsburg, PA
- 1996-1999 Deputy for Financial Management – Research and Engineering, Naval Air Systems Command, Patuxent River, MD
- Defense Budgeting & Financial Management
- Public management
- Defense business and financial management
- Public sector resource allocation
- Organizational use of financial information
- Louis D. Liskin Award for Excellence in Teaching, 2009
- Certified DAWIA Level III – Business, Cost Estimating, and Financial Management
- Member, Acquisition Professional Community
- Conrad Scholar in Financial Management – Naval Postgraduate School, 1996
- Naval Supply Systems Command Award for Academic Achievement - Naval Postgraduate School, 1996
- American Society of Military Comptrollers - First Place Essay, 1996
- Blue "E" Award for Logistics Excellence (3 consecutive), 1992-1994
- RADM Thompson Award for Public Affairs Excellence – NSCS, Athens, 1991
- Several military decorations for superior performance
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS: (View an extended list)
- Senior Associate, Center for Defense Management Research
- Member, Association for Budgeting and Financial Management
- Member, American Society for Public Administration
- International Public Management Network
- American Society of Military Comptrollers
- Webb, N. J. & Candreva, P. J. “Diagnosing Performance Management and Performance Budgeting Systems: A Case Study of the U.S. Navy,” Public Finance and Management, Vol. 10, no. 3, 2010, pp. 523-554.
- D. A. Brook & Candreva, P. J., “Whither the Defense Budget? Countervailing Pressures and Process Challenges,” The Journal of Government Financial Management, Vol. 58, no. 1, 2009, pp. 10-15.
- Candreva, P. J., “Financial Management” in Management of Defense Acquisition Projects, Rendon, R. & Snider, K. (eds), (Reston, VA: AIAA), 2008.
- Candreva, P. J. & Brook, D. A. “Transitions in Defense Management Reform: A Review of the Government Accountability Office’s Chief Management Officer Recommendation and Comments for the New Administration”, Public Administration Review, Vol. 68, no. 6, 2008, pp. 1043-1049.
- Brook, D. A. & Candreva, P. J., “Business Management Reform in the Department of Defense in Anticipation of Declining Budgets,” Public Budgeting & Finance, Vol. 27, no. 3, 2007, pp. 50-70.
- Keywords: National Defense Budgeting, Financial Management, Public Management