- William B. Maier
Mail Code: PH/Mw
Department of Physics
Graduate School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
Monterey, CA 93943
Email: maier (at) nps.edu
PhD - Univ of Chicago, 1964
MS - Univ of Chicago, 1962
BS - Univ of Chicago, 1959
- 1994 - present, Physics Department
1997 - 2003, Chairman of the Physics Department
- 1964 - 1994, Research and management, Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Introductory physics and calculus, nuclear weapons effects and concerns, directed energy weapons, electromagnetism
- Very broad, including classical field theory, electrical discharges, optical instrumentation, chemistry and spectroscopy of cryogenic solutions, railgun technology
- United Kingdom Science Research Council Fellowship, 1979-1980
- NPS Certificate of Recognition for Instructional Performance, 1996
- Inductive Pulse Forming Network for High-Current, High-Power Applications, US Patent 7,675,198 B1, March 9, 2010
Electrical Discharge Initiation and a Macroscopic Model for Formative Time Lags, IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci., 21, 676 (1993).
Production of N2+ First Negative Emission by Impact of 1-MeV H0, H, + and H- on N2, Phys. Rev. A 41, 2429 (1990).
Infrared Spectra of Hexavalent Uranium Chloride Fluorides, J. C. S. Chem. Comm. 10, 538 (1983).
Solubilities of Small Molecules in Liquis Krypton, J. Phys. Chem. 87, 4351 (1982).
High Resolution Infrared Absorption Spectra of BCI3 and BCI2F Dissolved in Solid Argon and Solid Krypton, J. Chem. Phys. 72, 6661 (1980).
- Keywords: Railguns, Rail guns, Railgun Technology, Electromagnetic Launchers, Monolithic EM Launchers, Classical Field Theory, Cryogenic Solutions, Ion-neutral reactions, Electrical discharges