- Peter Crooker
Mail Code: PH/Cp
Department of Physics
Graduate School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
Monterey, CA 93943
Phone: 831 656-2232
Email: ppcrooke (at) nps.edu
PhD - Naval Postgraduate School, 1967
BS - Oregon State University, 1959
- 01/02 - Present Senior Lecturer
- 6/00 - 12/00 Visting Professor (sabbatical)
- 6/60 - 12/67 Instructor, Physics Dept.
- 1968 - 2001 - 7/82-12/01 Professor of Physics, University of Hawaii at Manoa
- 1/91-6/95 Chair, Department of Physics and Astronomy, University of Hawaii
- 6/76-6/77 Visiting Scientist, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- 6/76-7/82 Associate Professor of Physics, University of Hawaii at Manoa
- 9/70-6/76 Assistant Professor of Physics, University of Hawaii at Manoa
- 1/70-9/70 Assistant Professor of Physics, California State Polytechnic University
- 1/68-1/70 Postdoctoral Fellow, MIT, Lincoln Laboratory
- I have taught physics at all levels, including freshman-level conceptual, non-calculus, and calculus-based physics, intermediate-level modern physics, mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and thermal physics, and graduate-level optics and statistical physics. I also enjoy teaching laboratories and have taught, almost without letup, labs ranging from freshman physics to condensed matter, acoustic, modern physics, and electronics laboratories.
- free-electron lasers (FELs) and their applications. I was involved with Prof. John Madey at the University of Hawaii in remote sensing using the tunability and power of the FEL along with hyperspectral imaging to detect low-level concentrations of atoms and molecules in the atmosphere. Now at the Naval Postgraduate School I am working with Prof. William Colson on modeling and simulation of various FEL configurations to determine their performance characteristics.
- 1997 University of Hawaii Board of Regents Medal for Excellence in Teaching
- 2000 University of Hawaii College of Natural Sciences Faculty Performance Award
- member of the American Physical Society
- A Study of an FEL Oscillator with Linear Taper, A. Christodoulou, D. Lampiris, W.B. Colson, P.P. Crooker, S. Benson, J. Gubeli, and G.R. Neil, in preparation.
- Simulations of the TJNAF FEL with Tapered and Inversely Tapered Undulators, A. Christodoulou, D. Lampiris, W.P. Colson, J. Blau, and R.D. McGinnis, Proceedings of the XXII International FEL Conference, in press.
- Simulations of the TJNAF 10 kW Free-Electron Laser, R.D. McGinnis, J. Blau, W.B. Colson, D. Massey, P.P. Crooker, A. Christodoulou, D. Lampiris, Proceedings of the XXII International FEL Conference, in press
- Blue Phases in Encyclopedia of Materials: Science and Technology, (Elsevier Science, 2001).
- Blue Phases, P.P. Crooker, chapter in Chirality in Liquid Crystals, edited by H.-S. Kitzerow and C. Bahr (Springer-Verlag, New York, 2001).
- Cholesteric Liquid Crystals Confined to Cylinders and Spheres", P.P Crooker and F.D. Xu, chapter in "Chiral Liquid Crystals, edited by L. Komitov. S.T. Lagerwall, and B. Stebler (World Scientific, Singapore, 1998)