- Ching-Sang Chiu
Mail Code: OC/Ci
Department of Oceanography
Graduate School of Engineering and Applied Sciences
Monterey, CA 93943
Email: chiu (at) nps.edu
ScD - MIT and WHOI, 1985
BS - Northeastern University, 1979
- Member, NPS Academic Council, 2009-present.
- Member, NPS Oceanography Department PhD Committee, 2009-present.
- Director, NPS Coastal Ocean-Acoustic Center, 1993-1999.
- Associate Chair of Research, NPS Academic Groups, 1996-1997.
- Member, NPS Research Board, 1996-1998.
- Academic Associate, NPS Operational Oceanography Curriculum, 1995-1999.
- Member, Search Committee for Dean of Research, 1996.
- Chair, NPS Menneken Research Award Selection Committee, 1994.
- Chair, NPS (School-Wide) Search Committee for Faculty in Ocean Acoustics, 1993.
- Member, NPS Menneken Research Award Selection Committee, 1993.
- Member, NPS Research Advisory Panel, 1993-1995.
- Member, NPS Faculty Council, 1992-1993.
- 2005-2009 - Office of Naval Research, Arlington, VA. Detailee Program Officer/Manager
- 1999 - 2000 - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA. Visiting Professor
- 1987 - 1988 - Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Woods Hole, MA. Visiting Investigator. (Summers)
- 1987-1988 - Institute of Naval Oceanography, Stennis Space Center, MS. Scientist
- 1985 - 1987 - Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution, Woods Hole, MA. Postdoctoral Investigator
- 1976 - 1976 - Arthur D. Little, Inc., Cambridge, MA, Junior Engineer/Co-op Student in the Applied Mechanics Section
- Ocean acoustics
- Acoustical oceanography
- Measurement, analysis, modeling and prediction of sound propagation in spatially and temporally varying ocean media.
- Ocean monitoring and process studies using underwater acoustic remote sensing techniques.
- Physical oceanography, particularly mesoscale and internal wave scale dynamics.
- Applications of estimation and inverse theories for oceanographic and acoustic data analysis, data assimilation, and observing system design.
- Passive detection, tracking and censusing of marine mammal vocalizations
- Fellow of the Acoustical Society of America, elected in 1996
- NPS GSEAS Extraordinary Merit Award for Entrepreneurialship, 2010
- Japanese Government Research Award for Foreign Specialist, 1997
- NPS Certificate of Recognition for Outstanding Research Achievements, 1991 and 1995
- NPS Menneken Faculty Award for Excellence in Scientific Research, 1992
- NPS Certificate for Outstanding Instructional Contributions, 1991
- Northeastern University President's Award for Outstanding Scholarship, 1978
- Arthur D, Little, Inc. Presidential Award, 1978
- Arthur D. Little, Inc. Enterprises Award, 1977
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS: (View an extended list)
- Appointment to the ASA Acoustical Oceanography Technical Committee, 1992-1995 and 2000-2009
- Appointment to the ASA Acoustical Oceanography Program Committee, 1991
- Fellow and Member of the Acoustical Society of America
- Member of American Geophysical Union and The Oceanography Society
- Editor-in-Chief, Journal of Computational Acoustics, 2002-present
- Editor, Journal of Computational Acoustics, 2000-2001
- Associate Editor of the US Navy Journal of Underwater Acoustics, 1994-2001
- Appointment to the IEEE OES Environmental Acoustics Technical Committee, 2005-present
- Keywords: ocean acoustics, acoustical oceanography