- Gail Fann Thomas
Mail Code: GB/Fa
Graduate School of Business and Public Policy
Monterey, CA 93943
Email: gthomas (at) nps.edu
EdD - Arizona State University, 1986
MEd - Arizona State University, 1979
BS - Northern Arizona University, 1976
- 1989 - present Associate Professor
- 1995 - 2000 Associate Chair for Instruction
- 2006 – Present Advisor to Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense
- 2007 Academic Advisor – Strategic Communication Integration Group
- 2007 Academic Advisor – Navy Enterprise
- Advisor – Joint Fleet Forces, Sonar Team
- 2005-2006 Advisor – NAVAIR, AIRSPEED change team
- 2001 Visiting Senior Research Fellow, King’s College, University of London, England
- 1986 - 1989 Assistant Professor, Department of General Business, Arizona State University, Tempe
- 1985 - 1986 Faculty Associate, Department of General Business, Arizona State University
- 1984 - 1986 Consultant, Ray Ryan and Associates, Phoenix, Arizona
- 1982 - 1984 President and joint owner, Info Center, Inc. startup and management of full-service computer organization
- Organization and management
- Strategic Communication
- Communication related to organizational change and innovation
- Diversity in the workplace
- Role of language in organizations
- Communication strategies for senior leaders
- Strategic Communication
- Meritorious Civilian Service Medal, 1999.
- NPS Special Act Awards: May 2000, August 1999, July 1999, and August 2005.
- NPS Richard W. Hamming Excellence in Teaching Award, 2005.
- Association for Business Communication Outstanding Researcher Award, 2005.
- Association for Business Communication Distinguished Member Award, 2004.
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS: (View an extended list)
- Board of Directors for Association for Business Communication, 1996-present
- Associate Editor, Journal of Business Communication, 1994-1997, 2001-present
- Core Member, DASD (JC) Strategic Communication Education Group, 2008
- Thomas, G. “The Central Role of Communication in Developing Trust and Its Effect on Employee Involvement,” Journal of Business Communication, 2009.
- Thomas, G. & K. Thomas. “Conflict Styles of Men and Women at Six Organizational Levels,” International Journal of Conflict Management, 2(14), 148-166, 2008.
- King, C. & G. Thomas. “Reconceptualizing Electronic Mail Overload,” Journal of Business and Technical Communication, 20(3), 1-36, 2007.
- Thomas, G. “How can We Make Our Research More Relevant? Bridging the Gap Between Business Communication and Research,” Journal of Business Communication, 44(2), 283-296, 2007.
- King, C. & G. Thomas, “Reconceptualizing E-mail Overload,” Journal of Business and Technical Communication, 20, 252-287, 2006.
- Keywords: management, communication