- Ira A. Lewis
Associate Professor of Logistics
Graduate School of Business and Public Policy
Monterey, CA 93943
Email: ialewis (at) nps.edu
PhD - Arizona State University, 1992
MBA - University of Ottawa, 1982
Finance and Managerial Economics
BA - University of Ottawa, 1980
- 1998 - present: Associate Professor of Logistics
October 2002 - March 2006: Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs
- September 1997 - September 1998: Research Officer, Supply Chain Project, Department of National Defence (DND), Ottawa, Canada. Member of the team studying the outsourcing of military logistics activities to third-party logistics firms
1993 - 1997: Research Officer, Chief Review Services, DND. Responsible for research and communications for the Defence Ethics Program, and for supporting program evaluation research studies.
1989 - 1993: Program Analyst, DND. Editor of the program management manual dealing with the approval of capital projects. Advised senior management on policy issues related to acquisition and logistics support of major capital assets.
May 1989 - September 1989: Material Operations Intern, McDonnell DouglasCorporation, St. Louis
1987 - 1989: Research Assistant, Purchasing and Logistics Management Program, Arizona State University. Analyzed survey results and statistics on corporate purchasing and maritime and air transportation in support of academic research.
1982 - 1987: Audit Officer, DND. Conducted audits and presented findings on logistics and financial operations at military units.
- Logistics and Transportation
- Logistics (particularly logistics policy, strategy and outsourcing)
Transportation (particularly air, rail and maritime)
Defense acquisition, particularly industrial policy and international aspects
- Diploma de Honor, Equipo Latinoamericano, Radio Canada Internacional, 2008
NPS Certificate of Recognition for Outstanding Instructional Performance, November 2002
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS: (View an extended list)
- Founding Co-Editor, International Journal of Defense Acquisition Management (2008-2012)
Editorial Board Member, Transportation Journal. (2005-present)
- Raymond E. Franck, Ira Lewis, and Bernard Udis, New Patterns of Collaboration and Rivalry in the US and European Defense and Aerospace Industries, September 2008. Naval Postgraduate School, Graduate School of Business and Public Policy, Acquisition Research Report Series, NPS-AM-08-131.
Nicholas Dew and Ira Lewis, The Evolving Private Military Sector: Toward a Framework for Effective DOD Contracting. February 2009. Naval Postgraduate School, Graduate School of Business and Public Policy, Acquisition Research Report Series, NPS-CM-09-003.
Raymond E. Franck, Ira Lewis and Bernard Udis, Global Cooperation and Competition in the Defense and Aerospace Industries, April 2010. Naval Postgraduate School, Graduate School of Business and Public Policy, Acquisition Research Report Series, NPS-AM-10-005.
- Keywords: Logistics, Transportation, Research Administration
Languages: French (fluent), Spanish (advanced)