- Susan P. Hocevar
Mail Code: GB/Hc
Graduate School of Business and Public Policy
Monterey, CA 93943
Email: shocevar (at) nps.edu
PhD - Univ of Southern California, 1989
MA - Cornell Univ, 1975
BA - Univ of Rochester, 1970
- Associate Professor, Graduate School of Business and Public Policy, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA. 5/01 – present.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Systems Management, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA. 7/95 – 5/01.
- Visiting Assistant (Adjunct) Professor, Department of Systems Management, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA 9/90 - 6/95.
- 1985 - 1990 - Adjunct Faculty of Univ of San Francisco, MPA Program
- Organizational Behavior
- Organization Theory
- Organization Change
- Organization Structure and Design
- Groups and Teams
- Power, Politics, and Conflict
- Inter-organizational Collaboration (e.g., Joint, Coalition, and Civil-military)
- Adaptive organizations
- Officer of the Future
- Reward Systems
- Team effectiveness and team-based organization design
- Organization culture
- 1999 Outstanding Research Achievement Award from the Division of Computer and Information Sciences and Operations, C4I Academic Group, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey CA
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS: (View an extended list)
- Fellow in the Inter-University Seminar on Armed Forces and Society, 1993-present.
- Member of the Western Academy of Management 1982-present.
- Member of the National Academy of Management, 1982-present.
- Hocevar, S.P. & Roberts, N. (2007). Information Sharing in Insecure Environments. Technical report on workshop conducted by Center for Stabilization and Reconstruction Studies, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey CA, May 21-25, 2006.
- Hocevar, S.P., Thomas, G.F., Jansen, E. (2006). Building collaborative capacity: An Innovative strategy for homeland security preparedness. In Beyerlein, Beyerlein & Kennedy (Eds) Advances in Interdisciplinary Studies of Work Teams: Innovation Through Collaboration, Volume 12 (263-283). Elsevier JAI Press.
- Thomas, G.F., Hocevar, S.P., Jansen, E. (2006). A Diagnostic Approach to Building Collaborative Capacity in an Interagency Context. NPS Technical Report (NPS-PM-06-026). Naval Postgraduate School. Monterey, CA.
- Diedrich, F.J., Entin, E.E., Hutchins, S.G., Hocevar, S.P., Rubineau, B. and MacMillan, J (2003). When do Organizations Need to Change (Part I)? Coping with Incongruence. In Proceedings of the 2003 Command and Control Research and Technology Symposium, NDU, Washington, D.C., June 2003.
- Hocevar, S.P. (2000). Autonomous vs. interdependent structures: Impact on unpredicted tasks in a simulated Joint Task Force mission. Proceedings for the 2000 Command & Control Research and Technology Symposium. Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey CA.
- Keywords: Organization Design, Inter-organizational Collaboration, Adaptive Organizations, Negotiation, Team Effectiveness, Organizational Culture, Power and Conflict, Organization Change