- William Gates
Associate Professor and Dean
Mail Code: GB/Gt
Graduate School of Business and Public Policy
Monterey, CA 93943
Email: bgates (at) nps.edu
PhD - Yale, 1984
BA - Univ of California, San Diego, 1975
- 2009-present: Dean
- 2003-2009: Associate Dean of Research, GSBPP
- 1995-present: Associate Professor of Economics, GSBPP
- 1988-1995: Visiting Assistant Professor of Economics, GSBPP Professor of Economics
- 1991 - 2001: Adjunct Professor of Economics, Monterey Institute of International Studies, Golden Gate University
- 1979 - 1988: Economist, Systems Analysis Section, Jet Propulsion Laboratory
- Policy Analysis
- Cost-Benefit Analysis
- Game Theory/Mechanism Design (Matching Games and Auctions)
- Incentives and Asymmetric Information (Incentive Contracting)
- Public Goods (Economics of Defense Alliances)
- Cost Benefit Analysis (Privatization, Outsourcing)
- Industrial Organization (Government R&D and Technology Policy)
- 2008 Louise D. Liskin Award for Teaching Excellence, Graduate School of Business and Public Policy
- 2000 Allen Griffin Award for Excellence in Teaching (Post-Secondary Institutions), presented by the Community Foundation for Monterey County
- 1999 RADM John Jay Schieffelin Award for Teaching Excellence
- 1998 Finalist RADM John Jay Schieffelin Award for Teaching Excellence (top 5% of NPS faculty)
- 1995 Finalist RADM John Jay Schieffelin Award for Teaching Excellence (top 5% of NPS faculty)
- 1992 Administrative Sciences Department Nominee for Instructional Recognition
- 1990 Finalist RADM John Jay Schieffelin Award for Teaching Excellence (top 5% of NPS faculty)
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS: (View an extended list)
- 2002-2004: NPS Faculty Council (elected at-large faculty representative); Faculty Executive Council
- 1995-present: Western Economic Association International
- 1990-present: American Economic Association
- Coughlan, P. J., & Gates, W. R. “Auctions as Force-Shaping and Force-Management Tools”, in Attitudes Aren’t Free: Thinking Deeply About Diversity in the US Armed Forces, Parco, J., Levy, D., & Randy, F. (ed). 2010.
- Doerr, K., Gates, W., & Mutty, J. “A Hybrid Approach to the Valuation of RFID/MEMS Technology Applied to Ordnance Inventory”. International Journal of Production Economics, 103 (2), 2006, 726-741.
- Gates, W., & Nissin, M. “Experimental Analysis of e-Employment Market Design”. Journal of Organizational Computing and Electronic Commerce, 14 (3), 2004, 195-222.
- Gates, W., & McCarthy, M. “United States Marine Corps Aerial Refueling Requirements: Queuing Theory and Simulation Analysis”. Defense and Security Analysis, 20 (3), 2004, 273-287.
- Gates, W., &Terasawa, K.L., “Reconsidering Publicness in Alliance Defense Expenditures: NATO Expansion and Buden Sharing,” Journal of Defense and Peace Economics, pp. 369-383, October 2003.
- Keywords: Applied Microeconomics, Policy Analysis, Cost Benefit Analysis, Cost Effectiveness Analysis, Defense Alliances, Government R&D Policy, Government Technology Policy, Labor Markets, Electronic Markets, Web-Based Markets, Two-Sided Matching Markets, Game Theory