- Richard B. Doyle
Associate Professor Emeritus
Mail Code: GB/Dy
Graduate School of Business and Public Policy
Monterey, CA 93943
Email: rdoyle (at) nps.edu
PhD - University of Washington, Seattle, Wa, 1984
MA - University of Washington, Seattle, Wa, 1976
BS - United States Air Force Academy, Co, 1969
- 1990-Present: Associate Professor of Public Budgeting, Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA
- Teach graduate courses in Public Budgeting, research and publish reports and scholarly articles on the federal budget process and the defense budget, participate in departmental activities and supervise development, research and writing of student theses.
- 1987 - 1989 - Senior Analyst for Defense, Committee on the Budget, United States Senate, Washington, D.C.
- 1986 - 1987 - Legislative Assistant, Defense and Foreign Policy, U.S. Senator Slade Gorton, Washington, D.C.
- 1975 - 1985 - Assistant Professor of Political Science, Department of Psychology and Social Sciences, University of Portland, Oregon, 1983-1985. Taught undergraduate and graduate courses in American Foreign Policy, Congress, Administrative Law and Constitutional Law. Director, Society and Justice Program.
- 1969 - 1974 - Armed Forces Air Intelligence Training Center, Lowry AFB, Colorado. Air Intelligence Officer, Tactical Air Command, CONUS and Seventh Air Force, Republic of Vietnam
- Defense Budgeting, Congressional Budget Process, Entitlement Policy
- Federal budget policy, defense budgeting, national security policy, congressional budget process, budgeting for health care and other entitlement policy, fiscal policy
- J. Allen Smith Fellowship, Department of Political Science, University of Washington, 1975
- Outstanding Faculty Award, Boise State University Alumni Association, 1980
- Conference Fellowship, National Endowment for the Humanities and the Institute of the American West, 1980
- Certificate for Outstanding Instructional Contributions, Naval Postgraduate School, October, 1991
- Winner, Admiral John Jay Schiefflin Award for Excellence in Teaching, Naval Postgraduate School, 1996
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS: (View an extended list)
- Honorary Member, International Advisory Board, Institute for Democracy and Development, South East European University, Tetovo, Republic of Macedonia, 2009-present
- Doyle, Richard, 2011. Real Reform or Change for Chumps: Earmark Policy Developments, 2006-2010. Public Administration Review, January/February.
- Doyle, Richard. 2010. Asynchronous Online Graduate Public Policy Education: The Use of Dynamic Public Databases to Solve Problems and Advance Learning. In Z. Abas et al. (Eds.), Proceedings of Global Learn Asia 2010 (pp. 1195-1201), AACE.
- Doyle, Richard. 2008. Kicking the Can: Congress, the Bush Administration and the FY 2008 Budget. International Public Management Review, Vol. 9:1.
- Doyle, Richard. 2007. National Security Strategy: Policy, Process, Problems. Public Administration Review, July-August.
- Doyle, R. 1997. “Entitlements,” In Jay Shafritz, editor, The International Encyclopedia of Public Policy and Administration (Boulder, CO: Westview Press, Inc.).
- Doyle, Richard. 1996. Congress, the Deficit and Budget Reconciliation. Public Budgeting and Finance, Winter: 59-81.
- Keywords: Defense Budgeting, Congressional Budget Process, Entitlement Policy, Federal Budget Policy, Defense Budgeting, National Security Policy, Congressional Budget Process, Budgeting for Health Care, Fiscal Policy