- Frank J. Barrett
Mail Code: GB/Br
Graduate School of Business and Public Policy
Monterey, CA 93943
Email: FBarrett (at) nps.edu
PhD - Case Western, 1990
MA - University of Notre Dame, 1977
English with Minor in Music
BS - University of Notre Dame, 1975
Government and International Relations
- 2006 - Present: Professor of Management
2004 - 2008: Area Chair of Management Group
1996 - 2006: Associate Professor of Management
- OTHER EXPERIENCE:
- 2008 – 2010: Visiting Scholar, Harvard Business School and Harvard Program on Negotiations
- 2002 – 2003: Boer and Croon Chair of Change Management, TIAS Business School, Tilburg University
- 1999: Visiting Associate Professor of Applied Economics, Katholieke University of Leuven
- 1997 – Present: Adjunct Professor, Benedictine University
- 1989 – 1990: Instructor of Management, Penn State University, Behrend College
- 1989 – 1990: Senior Researcher, Social Innovations in Global Management, Case Western Reserve University
- 1988 – 1989: Instructor of Organizational Behavior, Case Western University
- 1984 – Present: Consultant to various organizations in area of vision planning, team building, strategic planning, organizational restructuring, and conflict management
- 1983 – 1987: Faculty Assistant, Case Western Reserve University
- 1977 – 1982: Instructor of English, Cuyahoga Community College
- 1981 – 1983: Director of Budgetary Analysis, Cuyahoga County
- 1980: Pianist with Tommy Dorsey Orchestra under direction of Buddy Morrow
- 1978 – 1979: Budget Analyst, Cuyahoga County
- Organizational Change
- Qualitative Research Methods
- Organizational Design
- Leadership and Complexity
- Organizational Change
- Organizational Discourse
- Best Paper Award 2003 – Academy of Management, Division of Organizational Development and Change (co-authored with Mary Jo Hatch)
- Best Paper Award 1988 – Academy of Management, Division of Organizational Development and Change (co-authored with David Cooperrider)
- Graduated Cum Laude from Univ. of Notre Dame, 1975
- Winner of Notre Dame Club of Cleveland Scholarship Award 1972-1975
- Awarded full fellowship graduate study in English at Univ. Notre Dame
SELECTED PUBLICATIONS: (View an extended list)
- 1993 – Present: Member of Managerial and Organizational Cognition Interest Group, National Academy of Management
- 2002 – 2007: Executive Committee of Division of Organizational Development and Change, National Academy of Management
- 1988 – Present: Member Academy of Management Division of Organizational Development and Change
- Barrett, F. (2012) Yes to the Mess: Surprising Lessons from Jazz Improvisation for Leading in a Complex World. Boston: Harvard Business School Press. (Has been translated into Portugese, Italian, and French).
- Barrett, F and R. Fry. (2005). Appreciative Inquiry: A Positive Approach to Building Cooperative Capacity. Taos, New Mexico: Taos Institute Press.
- Fry, R; F. J. Barrett; J. Seiling, and D. Whitney (eds). Appreciative Inquiry and Organizational Transformation. Vermont: Greenwood Books, 2002.
- Whitehead, S. and F. J. Barrett (eds). The Masculinities Reader. Cambridge: Polity Press, 2001.
Chapters in books
- Bernstein, E. and F. J. Barrett. 2011. "Strategic Change and the Jazz Mindset: Exploring Practices that Enhance Dynamic Capabilities for Organizational Improvisation." Research in Organizational Change and Development, Vol. 19, 55-90
- Barrett, F. J; N. Powley; and B. Pearce. 2011. "Hermeneutics and Organizational Theory." In Tsoukas, H. and R. Chia (eds). Research in the Sociology of Organizations. Vol. 32, 181-213.
- Barrett, F. J. (2010). "Cultivating an Attunement to Unfolding: Improvisation and the Discovery of Identity." In Santi, M (ed). Improvisation: Between Technique and Spontaneity.
- Romme, S. and F. Barrett. 2010. "Toward High Involvement Strategy Formation: Conversations and Decisions That Matter." Journal of Corporate Citizenship. Vol 38, 93-106.
- Keywords: Organizational change, Qualitative Research Methods, Organizational Design, Leaderships and Complexity, Innovation, Creativity, Collaboration