- Barrett, F. (2012) Yes to the Mess: Surprising Lessons from Jazz Improvisation for Leading in a Complex World. Boston: Harvard Business School Press. (Has been translated into Portugese, Italian, and French).
- Barrett, F and R. Fry. (2005). Appreciative Inquiry: A Positive Approach to Building Cooperative Capacity. Taos, New Mexico: Taos Institute Press.
- Fry, R; F. J. Barrett; J. Seiling, and D. Whitney (eds). Appreciative Inquiry and Organizational Transformation. Vermont: Greenwood Books, 2002.
- Whitehead, S. and F. J. Barrett (eds). The Masculinities Reader. Cambridge: Polity Press, 2001.
Chapters in books
- Bernstein, E. and F. J. Barrett. 2011. "Strategic Change and the Jazz Mindset: Exploring Practices that Enhance Dynamic Capabilities for Organizational Improvisation." Research in Organizational Change and Development, Vol. 19, 55-90
- Barrett, F. J; N. Powley; and B. Pearce. 2011. "Hermeneutics and Organizational Theory." In Tsoukas, H. and R. Chia (eds). Research in the Sociology of Organizations. Vol. 32, 181-213.
- Barrett, F. J. (2010). "Cultivating an Attunement to Unfolding: Improvisation and the Discovery of Identity." In Santi, M (ed). Improvisation: Between Technique and Spontaneity.
- Romme, S. and F. Barrett. 2010. "Toward High Involvement Strategy Formation: Conversations and Decisions That Matter." Journal of Corporate Citizenship. Vol 38, 93-106.
- Barrett, F. "Value Free Conception of Science," in International Encyclopedia of Organization Studies, Clegg, S. & Bailey, J. (eds). Portland, OR: Sage, 2008. (1601-1605)
- Barrett, F. & Sarbin, T. R. "The Rhetoric of Terror: 'War' as Misplaced Metaphor," in Information Strategy and Netwars, Arquilla, J. (ed). 2007.
- Ludema, J. & Barrett, F. "Appreciative Inquiry Summit" in The Change Handbook, Holman, P., Devane, T., Cady, S. (eds). San Francisco: Berrett-Koehler, 2006.
- Barrett, F. "Toward an Aesthetic of Cooperation," in A Handbook for Transformative Cooperation: New Designs and Dynamics, Piderit, S., Fry, R., & Cooperrider, D. (eds). Palo Alto: Stanford Press, 2006.
- Barrett, F. Cooperrider, D., & Fry, R. "Bringing every mind into the game to realize the positive revolution Strategy: The Appreciative Inquiry Summit," in Practicing Organizational Change and Development: A Guide for Consultants, Rothwell, B., & Sullivan, R. (eds). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2005.
- Barrett, F. "Living in Organization: Lessons from Jazz Improvisation," in Constructing Organization: Social Constructionist Approaches to Organizational Behavior, Hosking, D., & McNamee, S. (eds). Norway: Liber Press, 2005.
- Gergen, M., Gergen, F., & Barrett, F. "Appreciative Inquiry as Dialogue: Generative and Transformative," in Constructive Discourse and Human Organization, Cooperrider, D., & Avital, M. (eds). Advances in Appreciative Inquiry Series, Volume 1, Oxford: Elsevier Science, 2004.
- Gergen, K., & Barrett, F. "Social Constructionism and Distributed Learning," in Encyclopedia of Distributed Learning, DiStefino, A., Rudestam, K., Silverman, R., & Taira, S. (eds). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 2003.
- Gergen, K., Gergen, M., & Barrett, F. J. "Dialogue: Life and Death of the Organization," in Handbook of Organizational Discourse, Grant, D., Hardy, C., Oswick, N., Phillips, N., & Putnam, L. (eds). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, 2003.
- Barrett, F. J. "Gender Strategies of Women Professionals: The Case of U.S. Navy," in Managing Professional Identities: Knowledge, Performativity, and the "New" Professional, Dent, M., & Whitehead, S. (eds). London: Routledge, 2002.
- Barrett, F. J. "Learning to Appreciate the Sublime: Don't Knock the Rock," in Between Fathers and Sons: Pivotal Narratives in Mens' Lives, Pellegrini, R., & Sarbin, T.R. New York, NY: Haworth Clinical Practice Press, 2002.
- Gergen, K., McNamee, S., & Barrett, F. J. "Realizing Transformative Dialogue," in The Transformative Power of Dialogue, Roberts, N. (ed). Amsterdam: JAI Press, 2002.
- Ludema, J., Cooperrider, D., & Barrett, F. J. "Appreciative Inquiry: The Power of the Unconditional Positive Question," in Handbook of Action Research, Reason, P., & Bradbury, H. (eds). London: Sage Press, 2000.
- Barrett, F. J. "Multi Party Collaboration as Transitional Space," in Multi-Organizational Patnerships and Cooperative Strategy, Schruyer, S. Tilburg: Tilburg Univ. Press, 2000.
- Barrett, F. J. "Knowledge Creating as Dialogical Accomplishment: A Constructionist Perspective," in Social Creativity Vol. 1, Montouri, A., & Purser, R. New York, NY: Hampton Press, 1999.
- Barrett, F. J. "Masculinity in the Military," in Militar and Geschlechterverhaltnisse (Gender and the Military), Eifler, C., & Seifert, R. Freiburg: Kore Publications, 1999.
- Cooperrider, D., Barrett, F. J., & Srivastva, S. "Social Construction and Appreciative Inquiry: A Journey in Organizational Theory," in Management and Organization: Relational Alternatives to Individualism, Hosking, D., Dachler, P., & Gergen, K. Aldershot: Avebury Press, 1995.
- Srivastva, S. & Barrett, F. J. "Appreciative Organizing: Implications for Executive Functioning," in Appreciative Management & Leadership, Srivastva, S., & Cooperrider, D.(eds). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1990.
- Srivastva, S., & Barrett, F. J. "Foundations for Executive Integrity: Dialogue, Diversity, and Development," in Executive Integrity, Srivastva and Associates. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1988.
- Srivastva, S. & Barrett, F. J. "Functions of Executive Power: Exploring New Approaches," in Executive Power, Srivastva and Associates. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1986.
- Barrett, F. & Sarbin, T. R. "Honor as a Moral Category: A Historico-linguistic Analysis." Theory and Psychology. Vol. 1(1), 2008, pp. 5-25.
- Balachandra, L., Barrett, F., Bellman, H., Fisher, C., & Susskind, L. "Improvisation and Mediation: Balancing Acts." Negotiation Journal. October, 2005, pp. 425-434.
- Barrett, F., Powley, E., & Bright, D. "Transforming Collective Identity through the Appreciative Inquiry Summit." Danish Business Journal. Vol. 3, No. 1. 2005, Pp 38-55.
- Olson, J., & Barrett, F. "Inventing the Joint Strike Fighter: Applying Appreciative Inquiry to Collaborative Start-Ups." Organizational Development Practitioner. Vol. 37. No. 1. 2005, Pp. 29-35.
- Barrett, F. "Critical Moments as Change in Negotiation." Negotiation Journal, Vol. 20, No. 2, 2004, pp.213-220.
- Powley, E., Fry, R., Barrett, F., & Bright, D. "Dialogic Democracy Meets Command and Control: Transformation through the Appreciative Inquiry Summit." Academy of Management Executive. Vol. 18. No.3. 2004, pp.67-80.
- Gergen, K., McNamee, S., & Barrett, F. "Transformativer Dialog." Zeitschrift fur systemische Therapie, 21, 2003: 69 - 89.
- Snider, K., Barrett, F., & Tenkasi, R. "Consideration in Acquisition Lessons Learned System Design." Acquisition Review Quarterly, 9: 2002, 67-84.
- Cooperrider, D., & Barrett, F. J. "An Exploration of the Spiritual Heart of Human Science Inquiry: A Methodological Call of Our Time." SOL Journal, 3, 2002: 56-62.
- Gergen, K., McNamee, S., & Barrett, F. J. "Toward Transformational Dialogue." International Journal of Public Administration, 24, 2001.
- Barrett, F. J., & Peterson, R. "Appreciative Learning Cultures: Developing Compentencies for Global Organizing." Organization Development Journal, 18, 2000.
- Barrett, F. J. "Creativity and Improvisation in Jazz and Organizations: Implications for Organizational Learning." Organization Science, 9, 1998: 605-622. Barrett, F. J., & Peplowski, K. "Minimal Structures Within a Song: An Analysis of 'All of Me.'" Organizational Science, 9, 1998: 558-560. Barrett, F. J. "Managing and Improvising: Lessons from Jazz." Career Development International, vol. 3, 1998. Barrett, F. J. "The Organizational Construction of Masculine Hegemony: The Case of the U.S. Navy." Gender, Work, and Organizations, 3, 1996: 129-142. Barrett, F. J. "Creating Appreciative Learning Cultures." Organization Dynamics, 24, 1995: 36-49.
- Barrett, F. J., Thomas, G., & Hocevar, S. "The Central Role of Discourse in Organizational Change." Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, 31, 1995: 352-372. Barrett, F. J. "Finding Voice Within the Gender Order." Journal of Organizational Change Management, 8, no. 6, 1995.
- Barrett, F. J., & Srivastva, S. "History as a Mode of Inquiry in Organizational Life: A Role fro Human Cosmogony." Human Relations, 44, 1991: 231-254.
- Barrett, F. J., & Cooperrider. "Generative Metaphor Intervention: A New Approach to Inter-group Conflict." Journal of Applied Behavioral Science, 26, 1990: 223-244.
- Srivastva, S., & Barrett, F. J."The Transforming Nature of Metaphor in Group Development." Human Relations, 41, 1998: 31-64.
The pages on this site are dynamic, and are created by a script. Contact Faculty Vitae Admin to report incomplete or incorrect data.
This is an Official U.S. Navy Website